Ireland has a friendly match against Serbia scheduled to be played on February 20 and Roy Keane has a few busy next weeks ahead of him as he has already travelled to the KC Stadium to check out Hull’s Irish contingent. He was keeping a close eye on Steve Bruce who made a recovery from his hernia problem that left him out of the playing field for 6 weeks.
The manager of Ireland Martin O’Neill and the assistant manager Roy Keane have to name their squad to face Serbia soon as they have a deadline day on which they have to pick the 11 members of the main team as well as a list that includes all of the substitute players.
The chief executive of the Irish Football Association John Delaney, has hinted out the possibility of Roy Keane ending up as the next coach of Ireland as well as saying that he wishes Martin O’Neill will stay as the current coach of the nation beyond 2016.
"In private conversations, I have found Roy to be very open and extremely good company," said Delaney. "He feels this is a very good role for him, to work with someone as experienced and as talented as Martin.
"He will learn a lot and I have no doubt he will go back into management one day – either at club or at international level." In the shorter term, Delaney wants O'Neill's contract to be extended beyond 2016.
"We would like Martin to be here for the long term. If he is here long-term then that means that he has been successful. He has been an absolute pleasure to work with – him and Roy. Their work ethic is tremendous." John Delaney stated.
On November 5 of 2013 Roy Keane was appointed as the assistant manager of Republic Ireland and soon after there were links surrounding him with a move to Sheffield Wednesday as the owner of the Championship club Milan Mandaric had already stated his interest in making an approach for the former Sunderland coach.
The potential move of Keane to Sheffield started a series of reports suggesting that Keane would not be interested in actually coaching Republic of Ireland but Martin O’Neil stepped up to the plate and shut down those rumors.
"I would be surprised," O'Neill said. "I think Roy is really committed here. Does he want to go and manage on his own at some stage? I'd be wildly disappointed if he didn't.
"But this is a great opportunity for Roy and I think he wants it. That's my view on it. I didn't spend hours and hours talking to him about it, and he said I'd be the first to know whenever anybody comes in. But I don't see it as anything to get overly concerned about."
Martin O’Neil insisted in saying that Keane will continue working with him being in charge of Republic of Ireland but a potential move coaching another club is in his future plans.
The Championship club owner Milan Mandaric already knows that it will be a challenge having to convince Keane on abandoning his current role and making a switch to Sheffield Wednesday but he wants to make it happen as he considers Roy Keane to have a superb personality that will help out the club and help them after the departure of Dave Jones.
"If I am going to do anything with Roy, I will have to call the federation [FAI] and see if I can get a chance to talk to him," Mandaric told the Sunday Times.
"You have to go through the channels for something like that. I will probably look into that. Roy took the job with Martin O'Neill so it would be difficult to move him out of there. I would like to look at him. He has a superb personality and won promotion with Sunderland."
Roy Keane is in favour of Martin O’Neill being appointed as the next Republic of Ireland manager.
The previous manager of Republic of Ireland, Giovanni Trapattoni, left his job last month. Noel King took the charge from him, but, he is only an interim manager. The Football Association of Ireland is believed to appoint a permanent boss soon.
There are quite a few names that are in contention for the job, but, O’Neill is said to be the strongest contender.
When asked about his thoughts on O’Neill, Keane said, “He is someone who is very experienced and I think he is a decent choice.”
“It’s good that the Football Association of Ireland has not taken any decision in a hurry. They don’t want to get it wrong and that’s why they are talking a bit of time. Hopefully, they will find a good boss soon.”
Keane himself is also believed to be one of the contenders for the post. However, the 42 years old former Manchester United player has made it clear that he is not that much interested to return to management.
When asked about the chances of him taking over as the next Republic of Ireland boss, Keane said, “The first thing is that I haven’t been approached yet. Secondly, I am not sure whether I want to be a manager again.”
“I enjoyed a lot managing Sunderland, but, I didn’t have the same kind of experience with Ipswich Town.”
“Being a manager is not an easy job. It’s mentally exhausting and I am not sure if I have got the necessary skills to manage a team.”
Keane had been terminated from his post of manager at Ipswich Town in 2011. Since then, he has not managed a team.
Barcelona sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta has claimed Manchester United has given up their pursuit of midfielder Cesc Fabregas.
According to reports in the Spanish media, Zubi is said to have claimed the Premier League champions have understood the club’s stance on the Spanish international midfielder and have accepted defeat in their pursuit for the player.
United are yet to make a major signing since David Moyes took over the managerial reigns from the retiring Sir Alex Ferguson at the end of last season and have already seen two bids for the former Arsenal skipper rejected by the Spanish League champions.
According to reports in the Spanish media, the former Spanish international goalkeeper is quoted as saying that Manchester United was interested in signing the player but they have also understood the stance of Barcelona that they are unwilling to sell a player they paid over € 35 million to bring to the Camp Nou just two seasons back and have accepted defeat in the chase for the player.
Fabregas claimed his first ever league title with Barcelona last season but he endured a very tough season for the Catalan giants, having been confined to a bit part role under manager Tito Vilanova. After losing Thiago Alcantara to Bayern Munich already this summer, it was expected Barcelona would be reluctant to sell another midfielder and Manchester United was hoping the player’s desire for first team football would be something that clinched the deal for them.
But now, it seems Fabregas himself is happy to stay and fight for his place in the Barcelona lineup under a new manager as they prepare for another assault on the UEFA Champions League and look to retain the Spanish League title, leaving United with another headache considering their lack of signings in the centre of midfield.
Premier League champions Manchester United are open to the sale of star forward Wayne Rooney, but only if the England international accepts to move abroad.
After weeks of denying the 27 year old would be sold in the current transfer window, United executives have now decided that it would be best to cash in on a player who has failed to justify the potential and high transfer fee the club paid for him as a teenager back in 2004 to bring him to Old Trafford from Everton.
And although Premier League rivals Chelsea and Arsenal have registered their interest in signing the player, United do not want to sell their star striker to a domestic rival in a move that could potentially cost them trophies.
According to many English newspapers, Arsenal are keen on the player where as Chelsea have already had a bid rejected by Manchester United who insist that the player is not for sale. But according to club insiders, the 27 year old would be sold if any of his foreign suitors offer a firm bid for the player that suits their valuation.
Ed Woodward, the new CEO of the club recently revealed that the club has no plans to begin new negotiations over a contract extension with the player who still has two years to run on his current deal and this has forced the player even more adamant that he will not wear the red of United anymore.
Real Madrid have been interested in the former Everton man but with their focus now solely on Gareth Bale, Paris Saint Germain remains the only viable option for Manchester United to offload a player they paid a massive £ 25.4 million transfer fee to bring to the club almost 10 years back now from his boyhood club.
Sky Sports TV pundit Gary Neville has revealed that he is not sure whether the appointment of former Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio as the new Sunderland manager is the right decision.
After the 1-0 defeat against Manchester United last weekend, Sunderland took the drastic step of sacking their manager Martin O'Neill after just over a year in charge. Results have been extremely poor under the former Aston Villa manager, which have left the club only a few points above the relegation zone. There is real danger of Sunderland being relegated to the Championship with just seven matches remaining in the season.
It did not take long for Sunderland to name a successor for O'Neill, as they appointed former Swindon manager Paolo Di Canio, who has been one of the controversial characters in football. He only recently resigned from his previous job. During his playing days, the Italian has represented several British clubs including West Ham United. He was known for his controversial remarks back then, which has also not changed after becoming a manager. Di Canio was involved in several fights with his own players, but he produced the results. Swindon were one of the inform teams in English football under his reign.
"I do not know what is going to happen. It is very un-Sunderland-like when you think of [previous managers] Peter Reid, Niall Quinn, Roy Keane, Steve Bruce and Martin O'Neill. You could argue it is very different from those appointments. It is a change of tact. Maybe that is something Ellis Short was very conscious of and wanted to do. It is a risk but life is about risks. We will only know in a few weeks' time," said Neville. Sunderland are just above the relegation zone only by a one point with Aston Villa and Wigan close.
The right back of Reading FC, Stephen Kelly, has said that he is shocked with the recent statements of Giovanni Trapattoni, the manager of the Ireland football team.
In a press conference on Thursday, Trapattoni had questioned Kelly’s commitment for his national side.
Trapattoni said, “I am really disappointed with Kelly’s attitude. He wants to be included in the squad only if he is assured that he would get a playing opportunity. It’s not the right attitude to have in a team game.”
Kelly looked very upset with Trapattoni’s statement. The Reading defender said, “It’s hard to believe that an experienced manager like Trapattoni has given this statement. I hadn’t expected him to say these things.”
“I am really upset. I have always been fully committed to the Ireland team and have never tried to go against the decision of the manager. I have always respected his decision. I don’t know why he has said all that.”
“It has hurt my family members as well. They know how passionate I have been to play for my country.”
“To play for Ireland was my childhood dream and I am privileged to have got the opportunity to play for my country. I also got the opportunity to captain my national side and that’s the greatest achievement of my career.”
“I am always available for selection. I have never forced the manager to give me the playing opportunity. I have always followed his instructions and I will continue to do the same in the future as well.”
Kelly had a controversy with the assistant manager of the Ireland team Marco Tardelli as well in October last year and now, the manager has given controversial statements about him. So, it will be interesting to see whether Kelly gets included in the Ireland team for the World Cup qualifying matches against Sweden and Austria.
Roy Keane is in line to become the new manager of Nottingham Forest. Sean O’Driscoll was surprisingly terminated as the manager of Nottingham Forest after Forest’s thumping victory over Leeds United on the Boxing Day.
Currently, the officials of Nottingham Forest are looking for a new manager and the former Ireland international Keane is a strong contender to be appointed on that post.
Roy Keane has managed a couple of teams before. He managed Sunderland for two years between 2006 and 2008 and then, he was the manager of Ipswich Town between 2009 and 2011. But, neither of his two tenures as manager was that successful.
Interestingly, Keane was out there in the stadium to watch the match between Nottingham Forest and Leeds United.
Talking to the reporters after the sacking of Sean O’Driscoll, the chairman of Nottingham Forest, Fawaz Al Hasawi said, “Sean is a great individual and he did a lot for the club. He was given the job at a tough time, but, he accepted the challenge and did a fine job.”
“Sean can consider himself a bit unlucky that he had to lose his job, but, we have our own reasons for taking this hard decision. I think we have got a bunch of highly talented players, but, even after that, we haven’t been consistent in the Championship so far. We are yet to win more than 2 games in a row in the ongoing Championship. So, consistency was bit of a worry for us.”
“With the mid season transfer window coming close, we thought that it’s the right time to make a bit of change in the management. We are currently looking for a young manager who has the experience of managing any Premier League team.”
Keane possesses both the criteria that Hasawi mentioned in his statement and he is also reported to be linked with the officials of Nottingham Forest. So, he might be appointed as the new manager of Nottingham Forest.
The midfielder of Manchester United, Ryan Giggs, has hailed his former team mate Roy Keane and has said that Keane was one of the best midfielders he has ever played alongside with.
Giggs has been playing for Manchester United since the last 22 years and he has played more than 600 matches for the club so far. He became 39 years old on Thursday and on his birthday; he talked to the reporters about his long career.
One of the reporters asked Giggs if he has to pick his dream team, who would be the midfielders in that team, Giggs said, “In my dream team, I would like to pick Cristiano Ronaldo, Roy Keane and Paul Scoles as midfielders. Roy Keane was fantastic. He is probably one of the best midfielders of all times. Scoles was also world class. So, these two would be the automatic pick for me in my dream XI.
“As far as the third spot is concerned, if you had asked me three years ago, I would have liked to pick David Beckham on the place of Ronaldo, but, the way Ronaldo has played in the last couple of years, he certainly deserves a place in my dream midfield.”
When asked about his toughest opponent, Giggs said, “For me, Lee Dixon was the toughest player to compete with. He was a great right back. It was very hard to get past him.”
When asked who is better between Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi, Giggs said, “I think both of them are amazing players. It’s not fair to say that one of them is less capable than the other. Both have been pretty consistent in the last 4-5 years and have won a lot of matches for their respective clubs. So, I think both of them are up there.”
The former Newcastle United striker Alan Shearer has said that the Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney is definitely one of the best in world.
There have been a lot of questions raised over the form of the 26-year-old, despite the fact that he finished as the top scorer with 36 goals in all competitions for Manchester United last season. However, there has been criticism that he is slightly overweight at the start of the new season, which has meant that the former Arsenal striker Robin van Persie – brought into the club for £ 24 million – has been getting the headlines.
The England international Wayne Rooney recently returned to the first team action after a month out due to an injury. Since his return, he has been in spectacular form and he has also struck a great partnership with Robin van Persie up front for Manchester United. Alan Shearer watched Wayne Rooney produce a great performance in the 3-0 win over his former club Newcastle United. After the match, the former England international said that Wayne Rooney is easily one of the best strikers in the world and still has the hunger to do well in the game. He has said that it is difficult to keep a player like Rooney quiet for a long period.
"The season started horribly for the player — poor against Everton, dropped, then injured. The star of the show was Robin van Persie and Rooney’s Old Trafford future was coming under the spotlight. But you cannot keep a player of this man’s ability down for long. Looking fit again and firing on all cylinders, he was everywhere at St James’s Park. Helping out his defence, available for a ball from the back, on a wing to cross the ball and in behind Van Persie directly through the middle," said Alan Shearer after the 3-0 win for Manchester United.